Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Birthday Present

Despite the lousy weather on Saturday and Sunday, the weekend was a great one. I couldn't ask for anything more. Lot's of great food, R&R, family, friends, two little toe-heads that crawled into my bed in the mornings, and then finally a nice hot summer-like day.

On Saturday night Dan took me out to oe of our favorite little french bistros, Bistrot Margot, in the city. (Let me highly reccommend the mussels and the chocolate chip bread pudding!)

And on Sunday night, he not only made a fantastic dinner for me, but also hung my new birthday present ...


This was not as easy of a task as it first appeared to be. But with the gracious help of my father-in-law, who is most definitely our favorite go-to handyman, they got it up in time for dinner and to my great delight.

If you read my post on chandeliers, you may remember that I have been wanting to swap out the builder-installed chandelier in our breakfast area for sometime now. It just seemed to scream "Home Depot" to me. (Not that there's anything wrong with the store.)


I have gone back and forth over several chandeliers for awhile, but finally decided on this one from Wisteria. This is, after all, a breaskfast room. I thought it called for more of a simple elegance than some of the bolder, more ornate choices I was looking at. I really love it's vintage-lantern look. It is also a large, substantial size (perfect for high ceilings) but still manages to have a light and airy feel.

I also saw it featured in the home of another great designer, Brooke Giannetti. who's blog, Velvet & Linen, I adore. That sealed the deal.



It definitely makes me swoon.


(Especially when being served a fabulous orechiette with sun-dried tomatoes, rapini and sausage made by my husband. Mmmm. Did he treat me right, or what?)

And these two other men in my life are pretty special too.


Thanks to my parents and everyone yesterday for making my birthday the perfect day.

More of our weekend adventures to come later this week ... stay tuned.