Friday, April 15, 2011

Affordable Art



I first spotted this lovely bird print on one of my favorite blogs, Jones Design Company, in Emily's office:


I thought .... hmmm. I love that. I wonder where it comes from?

Then I saw it again on another favorite blog, 6th Street Design School, as part of Kirsten's $500 Guest Bedroom makeover.




Oooh ... I thought ... there it is again! Thankfully, Kirsten revealed her secret source! Amazon .... and it's actually wrapping paper! For $4.50!

If you read my post on Pretty Plumes, you know I've got a thing for birds. So of course, I had to click on over to Amazon and check it out.  Much to my delight, I found a whole assortment of vintage wrapping paper by Cavallini Papers each more swoon worthy than the next. With a simple frame, any of these could make a beautiful (and affordable) piece of art.

There are lots of old maps. How great would it look to hang a whole bunch of them together? These London and Paris ones are my faves. I might like to hang them in Braden's room to go with all of his vintage airplanes ....



...kind of a la Chirstiane Lemieux, founder of DwellStudio and her children's rooms:


from Undecorate

Speaking of Paris ... have you ever been to Paris?  I have a friend (if you're reading this, you know who you are!) who got engaged at the top of the Eiffel Tower. (Lucky girl!)
It'd be fun to create a little Paris gallery with the Paris map and these ....

Vintage Paris postcards



Or, how about these in a playroom?





I also love these ...



And what about this in your kitchen?



It kind of reminds me of this ...



Hmmmm. Which ones to get? At this price, I may have to get a few and just see where inspiration strikes!

By the way ... if you noticed several of the photos in the post are from "Undecorate" ... a great new book I just got yesterday and am hoping to make my way through this weekend.  More on it next week!

Have a great weekend!