Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Who needs cushions?

Lately I've had quite a few people ask me about getting bench cushions made ... for window seats, mudroom benches or breakfast nooks.

We have a large bench in our mudroom as well as a small built-in bench in our master bedroom closet and for both I ordered the cushions online from a site called Cushion Source and I couldn't be happier with them.  You can customize everything about them, from size, cording options, shape, depth, rounded corners, you name it. And they have an amazing selection of fabrics.

Here's what I did in our mudroom.


(Please note that the picture is tightly cropped so as not to reveal all of the shoes and backpacks that somehow got dropped on the floor.) The walls of the mudroom are a dark, kind of espresso brown so a I wanted a bold punch of color in there. I had this made from an indoor/outdoor Sunbrella fabric so it would stand up to lots of little dirty shoes and hands.

I love this little bench in our closet (more as a place to lay clothes on than to actually sit) ... but nonetheless I knew I wanted a cushion there. (Again this picture was taken quickly and cropped in tightly so as not to make you bear witness to a closet that is still recuperating from post-vacation stress disorder.)


I opted for a fun fabric that speaks to the writer in me. After 3 years, it still makes me smile.


Here's a sampling of some of my other favorite fabrics from their site:


Bangladesh Stratosphere


Cat's Cradle Lacquer

Crystal Lake Amber

Dandelion Eaton Blue Linen

Leigh Lemon

Mazework Azure

Nora Kelp Linen

They also make cushions for patio furniture ... hmmm. That's got me thinking .....