Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Personalized Bus Roll Art

Have you heard of The Foundary? It's kind of like Gilt Group, Hautelook, or One Kings Lane where you sign up to become a "member" and then each day you are sent an email about their various sales, which can run the gamut from name brand clothes to furniture, rugs, lighting, bedding ... all at deeply discounted prices.  Sometimes you have to act fast ... there have been times when I've logged in shortly after the sale started and a lot of the things are already sold or "on hold."

Anyway, today and tomorrow, The Foundary is featuring a sale by Uptown Artworks which I think is really fun.


Love the pillows!


I'm sure you've seen similar styles of this "bus roll" art ... even Restoration Hardware has a version:


Subway Sign Art $850



 These signs have always made me swoon for many reasons.

1) I love the boldness of  black and white, which looks good hanging on almost any color background. (I think every room needs a good dose of black and white.)

2) It is a great way to personalize your space if a certain city has special meaning to you ... whether it be a place you lived, honeymooned, met your soul mate, traveled, etc.

3) Big cities are my favorite places to travel ... and these signs are iconic to me ... the sense of adventure you feel getting out to discover the streets of a new city.

4) I love signs and typography. Maybe it is my background in advertising and writing ... but words are beautiful to me!

Not too long ago, a shop on Etsy caught my eye. HirondelleRustique makes customizable bus rolls with any names you choose and her pricing is way less than you'll find in the stores.




I debated between doing one with all of the streets we've lived on or doing one for my son Kyle's room, using the names of all the best surfing beaches.

This one won out ...



I used the streets my husband and I each grew up on and then all of the streets we've lived on together.

Wouldn't this be a great idea for an anniversary gift?  It helps if you've moved around a lot like we have.  But you could also simply use other street names that have special significance to you.

She has several different sizes, as well as lots of other great prints and customizable art. Be sure to check out her shop here.

I am all about hanging things on your wall that have personal meaning, and this certainly fits the bill.  On the "bus ride" of life these have been our most important stops. (We don't have subways here in Chicago ... only the El train)

How about you?